D2L Brightspace Frequently Asked Questions
Which browsers can I use to access D2L Brightspace?
D2L Brightspace supports Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Chrome. Make sure to run the System Check on the D2L Brightspace login page to be sure. You should also allow pop-ups for D2L Brightspace.
You can also use your mobile device, such as an iPad.
What are the additional roles in Classlist?
A course instructor may add the following special roles in a course:
- Non-Edit Instructor - has the capabilities for instructor but cannot edit content. This role typically used for Teaching Assistants or similar, since they will be able to grade.
- Non-Grade Instructor - has the capabilities for instructor but cannot grade students. This role can add or change content and is typically assigned to course designers.
- Visitor - can participate in all course activities except for those that are graded. This role cannot edit content or grade students.
How do I add another participant (student or instructor) to my course?
- From your Course Home page, click Classlist.
- Click Add Participantson the top tool menu of the Classlist page, and click Add existing users.
- Under Add Existing Usersenter the NetID of the user and click on the search magnifier icon.
- Check the box next to the user you want to add and select the role you want to assign to the user.
- Click Enroll Selected Users.
- Click Done.
How do I unenroll a participant (student or instructor) from my course?
- From your Course Home page, click Classlist.
- The list of your course participants appears on the screen. Click the checkbox next to the name of the person (or persons) you want to remove.
- Above the classlist, click the Unenroll icon.
- Click Yes on the confirmation window to proceed with removing the participant from the course. (Or click No to cancel the request so that the participant is not removed from the course.)
Course Start Date
How do I change a course start date for students?
Courses are loaded with the student start date set to the official start date of each Semester or sub-semester (Example: Summer has Maymester, full, first-4, second-4, 8-week, etc.). If students need to have access earlier than this, an instructor can change the start date for their course.
- Click Course Adminin the navigation bar.
- Under the Site Setupsection, click Course Offering Information.
- Check the Course has a start date option.
- Enter the date and time when you would like to students to begin their access.
- Click Save to finish.
Creating Private “Student Journal” Discussion Topics
To create a private discussions topic between the student and instructor, use group-restricted Discussions in D2L Brightspace. You will create groups of 1 member each.
- In the Navigation Bar, click Other.
- From the dropdown menu, click Groups.
- Click New Category.
- Enter a Category Name, such as “Student Journals.”
- Select Enrollment Type: Groups of #.
- In the Number of Usersfield, enter 1.
- Check the Auto-Enroll New Users checkbox, if there may be more students added to your course.
- Check the Set Up Discussion Areas checkbox.
- Click Save.
- You will be taken to a second screen to finish the setup of your restricted discussion areas.
- Choose an existing Forum from the dropdown, or click New Forum. You can make a forum titled “Student Journals.”
- After selecting the appropriate forum, click Create and Next.
- You will receive a summary message, confirming how many groups were created and how many Forums and Topics were created. This should match the number of students currently enrolled in your course.
- Click Done.
A discussion topic has been created for each student. Each topic will be restricted to that student and the instructor(s).Note: If you enroll new students after creating the groups and topics, they will be automatically placed in their own group of 1. However, you will have to manually create and restrict their discussion topic.
OriginalityCheck: Why am I getting the following message: "An originality report cannot be generated because the assignment due date has passed." for an Assignment with OriginalityCheck enabled, even after I extended the restriction dates for the Assignment folder?
The dates for the assignment got passed through to TurnItIn when the Assignment folder was created, and TurnItIn did not get any further changes to dates. Consider making a new Assignment folder for the students to submit.
I linked an Assignment folder to the Table of Contents, but my students cannot see it
When an Assignment is linked into Content via Existing Activities, that Assignment link is in Draft status. Students cannot see it until the instructor sets the status to Published.
Can I disable email forwarding?
- Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Click Account Settings.
- Go to the Email tab.
- Disable email forwarding by unchecking "Forward incoming messages to an alternate email account."
- Click the Save button.
What is the maximum size limit for emails?
Email messages cannot exceed 2 Megabytes.
What is the maximum size limit for attachments?Email attachments must be under 2 Megabytes.
When I click on an email in the notification area, my inbox appears but I do not see the emailAdjust the filter in your inbox to show messages by course, or to show all messages in the inbox.
Why is there an “Error: Not Authorized” message when I access the D2L Brightspace email tool?Students will be unable to access the D2L Brightspace email tool while any quiz is still in progress. This is functioning as designed, to reduce the opportunity for inappropriate collaborations during assessments. Once a student has completed this quiz, the D2L Brightspace email tool can be accessed again without error.
Excluding a grade item from final grade in weighted system
In the points grading system, a simple check box selection in the grade item properties excludes this grade item from the final grade selection.
In the weighted grading system, this check box does not exist. One must set the weight of the grade item to "0" in order to exclude it from final grade calculation. To be able to adjust the weight, the category of the grade item must not be set to " Distribute weight evenly across all items ", unless the category's weight is set to "0".
Hiding a grade item that you created
To hide a grade item from students:
- Go to Manage Grades in Grades.
- Click the Grade item you wish to hide from students.
- Go to the Restrictions tab.
- Select Hide this grade item or set a Start Date to release the grade at a future date.
- Click the Save button.
Hiding the Final Calculated Grade column from students
The Final Calculated Grade is hidden from students by default. It will not appear until you release the final calculated grade to the students.
To release the final calculated grade to students:
- Go to Enter Grades in Grades.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to Final Calculated Grade.
- Click Grade All.
- Click in the Release Final Calculated Grade column, click the checkbox for all students you wish to release a final grade for.
- Click Save and Close.
Why is there a gray exclamation point icon for some of the grade items?The gray exclamation point icon indicates that these grade items are dropped automatically from the final grade calculation. The grading option to drop a certain number of lowest grade items is part of the properties of the grades category.
How do I name a new column in an Excel gradebook .csv file?The following shows the naming convention for a new grade item column header when created in Excel: Assignment Points Grade <Numeric MaxPoints:10 Weight:10>, where "Assignment" is the actual name of the grade item. Note that simply typing a name in the column header will result in an import error in D2L Brightspace.
Why when I put in a grade, it only greys the box of the grade item and does not show the score?In Grades, go to Grades Settings, select Points grade in the Personal Display Options, and click Save.
What do I need to do to make sure students can see grades in the grade book?By default, any grade item you create is visible to your students. If you wish to hide a Grade Item, you can either hide or set a date range on the Restrictions tab of the Grade Item.
Import, Export, Copy Components
Which components cannot be exported from my course?
Components such as widgets, homepages, and custom navbars do not export. However, they can be transferred with the Copy Components function.
Which D2L features work on smartphones? Which ones do not?
The following features will work on the smartphone:
- Course Content
The mobile view shows calendar and events first after you log in. To access all the other tools, tap the tool icon in the top-left corner.
The following features are currently not available on the smartphone:
What is the URL for mobile access?
Time limits on quizzes
Students must start the quiz before the end date and time, but do not have to finish it before the end date and time.
For instance, if they have 45 minutes for a quiz with an end date/time of 11 pm, but they begin at 10:30 pm, they still have the full 45 minutes (until 11:15) before the quiz is late. After the full 45 minutes, they are “late.”
Depending on your selections on the restrictions tab for late submission, remember that D2L will either let them submit as normal; let them submit, but flag as late; or force an auto-submit of previously saved questions.
Resetting attempts and force-submission of an attempt in progress
Resetting a quiz attempt so that a student can retake an assessment and manually forcing the submission of an attempt in progress are two options that are available to instructors in the grading section of a quiz, as illustrated below.
In Quizzes, go to the quiz, click Grade from the drop-down menu next to the quiz title, and locate the attempt(s) to be reset or force-submitted.
How do students see the feedback on their quizzes?
There are 2 possible fields for leaving overall feedback on a Quiz: Grade Item Public Comments and Feedback.
- Grade Item Public Comments are visible to the individual student in the gradebook. The word “public” indicates that the comments are visible to the student, not just the instructor.
- Feedback is visible from within the Quizzes tool, not the gradebook. If feedback is left in the Feedback box, the student will receive a comment bubble next to the quiz name in the Quizzes tool:
This overall feedback is separate from any question-level feedback. If you leave any feedback on the individual questions in an attempt, make sure to release the questions in Submission Views for that quiz. If the questions are not visible to students, then the question-level feedback is not visible.
I am getting an error when importing a large number of questions from the Question LibraryOne solution is to import 10 or fewer questions at a time. Another solution is to download the questions to Respondus, and then publish them to the quiz in D2L Brightspace.
My students’ grades for a Quiz are not showing in Grades
Extending the availability of a quiz or dropbox folder to an individual student
To extend the availability period of a Quiz or Dropbox Folder:
- Go to the Quiz or Assignment folder.
- Go to the Restrictions tab.
- Select Allow selected users special access to this quiz.
- Click Add Users to Special Access button.
- Change date availability and/or access settings.
- Go down to the Userssection and select the student(s) for whom you are granting a different availability period and/or access settings.
- Click Add Special Access button.
- Click Save.
I created a rubric but it is not available to associate with a tool
To associate a rubric:
- The rubric status must be set to Published, and not Draft.
- The Competencies checkbox must remain checked to maintain availability of rubric for association.
How do I use rubrics with Discussions?Rubrics for discussions should always be attached to the Grade Item, not the Discussion Topic, or students will not be able to see the rubric.
Why can’t I delete a rubric?Once a rubric is set to published status and attached to an item, it cannot be deleted. However, you can set a rubric to archived status; then it will no longer be visible. The Status dropdown is available on the Properties tab of a rubric.
My VoiceThread link is not working anymore
I created a weblink through Quicklinks in Content but the website loads as a blank page
Some websites will not open if they are added as a Link in D2L Brightspace. These sites prohibit loading in frames, which is how D2L Brightspace loads links by default.
The Google website is one example. Some browsers give an error message (IE), whereas others (FireFox, Chrome) just load a blank page with no error at all.
The solution is to check Open as External Resource when creating a link, as long as pop-ups are enabled for https://kennesaw.view.usg.edu.
How do I embed a Youtube video in D2L?