Frequently Asked Questions
What is my new telephone number?
The new schema is 470-KSU-xxxx, with KSU being 578 and xxxx being the last four digits of your current number.
Do I need to dial 9 to make calls off-campus?
No. There is no need to put 9 in front of the phone number. Simply dial the external number.
Is training provided for the new phone?Yes, go to http://owltrain.kennesaw.edu to register for a hands-on training workshop.
When will my old phone stop working?The old phones will remain in place until the entire Campus has been transitioned to the new system. At that time, disconnect orders will be sent into AT&T and KSU personnel will begin the task of collecting old phones and preparing them for surplus. DO NOT remove a phone or send it to surplus without first talking to KSU Telco.
Do we still have 4-digit dialing on campus?Yes.
What are the different passwords and PIN numbers?
- The PHONE USER PASSWORD is a 6-digit password that allows you to change your user settings in Services and to unlock your phone once the phone lock feature is activated.
- The MAILBOX PASSWORD is a 6-digit minimum PIN number that allows to check your voicemail messages on your phone and at voicemail.kennesaw.edu. It must contain between 6 and 24 digits, which cannot be consecutive numbers, your extension number, or the same number in sequence.
- The VOICEMAIL.KENNESAW.EDU PASSWORD is created when you first access the web-based voicemail application. The password must contain 8 characters with a mix of upper and lower case letters as well as special characters.
How do I put a call on hold on one phone and pick it up from another phone?
You can use a feature called CALL PARKING.
- To park an incoming call, press the Transfer key, and then enter *71. You will hear a recording that will give you a parking space number. Take note of the number, and then press the Transfer Now soft key.
- To retrieve the call, dial #71, and then enter the parking space number at the prompt, followed by the # key.
Note: If the call is not picked up within 2 minutes, it will time out and ring back back at the phone it was parked from.
Will GA Voicemail incoming faxing still work?
No. We are investigating a replacement for this service but do not have a solution at this time. There will be an associated cost when a new solution is determined.
Will stand-alone fax machines still work?Yes, the service will continue although there will be a new telephone number.
What is the model of the new telephones?Siemens IP 55G VoIP.
Will my current voicemail change?
Yes, GA voicemail will be discontinued. Saved messages will need to be saved to your desktop, see below for instructions. A new greeting will need to be setup for the new voicemail system; instructions will be provided at training.
Saving Messages from Your GA Voicemail Inbox or Saved Folder
- Go to www.GAVoicemail.com via your web browser.
- Log in with your username and password. (If you have forgotten your login information, click the “forgot login info” link below the submit button).
- The view upon login is of your inbox. If you have moved messages to your “saved” folder, click the Saved folder icon on the left side of your screen.
- Select the message you want to save by clicking the white box next to the message. You can preview messages by double clicking on the message.
- Click the Forward icon at the top of the screen.
- An email pop up will appear with your selected message attached. Enter your email address in the “To” field.
- Click send.
- An email will be sent to you with the message attached as an mp3 file.
Are my voicemail messages forwarded to my email?Yes, voicemail messages are sent to your email as a .wav audio file. You may then delete them from the voicemail server (instructions are provided in training) or they will be automatically deleted after 60 days.
Is the 470 area code local to the 678, 770, and 404 area codes?Yes.
Conferencing Bridges - Will conferencing through GA voicemail continue?Although we will no longer be using GA voicemail, conference bridges are available with the new phone system. This is an optional feature upgrade and an additional charge will be incurred.
Will my current headset work with the new phones?
Wired headsets will need to be upgraded. Options can be given for new headsets to be purchased. New headsets should be requested through ITS approvals at the Technology Purchases website.
Many existing wireless headsets will work with the new phones, but will require the purchase of an adapter cable. Below you will find the list of the compatible headsets and the cable that will need to be purchased.
EHS Cables For IP55G Headsets
EHS Cable Needed: EHS 14201-10
Headset Model: GN9120EHS, GN9125, GN9350e, PRO 9400, PRO 920, GO 6470
EHS Cable Needed: APS-1
Headset Model: CS 50, CS 55, CS 70
EHS Cable Needed: APS-11
Headset Model: Savi 700 series, CS 500 series
Will my existing conference phone work?Yes, existing locations will remain active. Any new conference phones purchased should be requested through UITS approvals at the Technology Purchases website.
Will my bill increase?No, the cost will remain the same for FY 2015.
Are long distance and international calls included?Yes, they will be included for FY 2015.
If I forward calls to my cell phone or home phone from the VoIP phone, will my personal phone number be displayed on Caller ID?Yes, but only to callers who are calling from another VoIP phone. If a person is calling from their own personal phone (e.g. cell), they will NOT see your forwarding number.
Do the new phones have intercom capability?No, this feature is not secure.
Can my old number be forwarded to my new one?
Yes, this is possible. However, once the entire campus has been transitioned to VoIP, disconnect orders will be submitted to AT&T and your old phone line, along with the forwarding, will no longer work. If the forwarding service needs to remain in place past this point, department approval is required for the $22 monthly charge by AT&T, which will be incurred in addition to the monthly charges for the new phone. Forwarding instructions can be found below.
How To Forward From Your Old Phone To Your New One
- Pick up the receiver on your old phone and dial *74 (you should hear a dial tone).
- Dial “9-470-578-xxxx” with xxxx being the last 4 digits of your new phone number.
- Let the new phone ring 1 or 2 times, and then answer it.
- Hang up, and then test.
- If you have any problems forwarding the phone line dial X6029 for assistance.
- To cancel the forwarding for any reason pick up on your old phone and dial *73 – you will hear confirmation beeps.
How can I find additional answers?Email email@example.com